More Puzzling

In a previous post, I discussed my attempt to write a program to solve a puzzle. I never updated that post because, well, I ran the program all night and it didn’t find the solution!

I had made up a fake puzzle that I knew had a solution for testing, and the program could solve it in 15 minutes. But it couldn’t solve the one I had recorded for the real puzzle. I figured (and hoped) that I had simply recorded it wrong and to check, I re-recorded the pieces and tried again. And it worked! Here’s how:

Continue reading

Puzzling

My mother gave the fam a new game for Xmas called “The Impossible Puzzle.” Or maybe that was the company name. Either way, the label is certainly apt.

The puzzle is composed of nine, 4-sided pieces with interlocking parts in the shapes of the 4 card suits (hearts, diamonds, etc). There is only one way to lock the 9 pieces into a 3X3 square, and the game touts the fact that “there are over 300,000 combinations, only one of which is correct.”

Fig.1: An example of the puzzle pieces.

My mother, her bf, and myself all fiddled with this puzzle for a while before becoming too frustrated. There seemed to be no way to logically sort through the options of all possible arrangements and rotations of the pieces and clearly a brute-force method of trying all combinations would take way too long by hand. But maybe not for a computer. So, I figured this would be an excellent opportunity to try out my programming skills.

Continue reading